Ben "Cornfed" Erickson - Altoona, IA
I’ve been flying RC for 4 years, but have been into aviation since I was 8-9 years old. When I was young, my family took me to an RC warbird re-enactment, the Aviation Expo in Ankeny, Ia, and a local full-scale show featuring A-10s and the USAF Thunderbirds. Since then, I’ve always liked anything aviation related.
What Type Of Flying I Do:
Primarily 3-D mixed with old school low and slow with a little XA flying
Experience/History Building R/C Planes:
I’ve only had my hands on a couple small kits. Most of what I have is ARFs from companies like AJ Aircraft, Flex Innovations, Aeroworks, H9, and Extreme Flight.
Experience/History Flying R/C Planes:
I took the plunge and bought my first giant scale gasser, an Aeroworks Extra 260 Freestyle, 3 months after I solo’d on a trainer that I had put together. I’ve been hooked on big gas 3D planes ever since. Lately, I’ve been hanging out with some of the WW1/2 guys and have decided I’m going to put together a BUSA 1/4 scale D7 or SE5a this next fall. Change it up a bit.
1. 91″ EF Laser DA-70 MKS servos – Thunderbird scheme
2. Flex Innovations Mamba DA-70 bipe Potenza servos, one of my favorite all around Huck machines
3. 104″ AJ Aircraft ARS 300 – Just bought @Joe Nall 2018 (brand new ARF) Freestyle plane
4. Coming Soon…105″ AJ Aircraft Laser 230z GP-123 MKS servos. IMAC plane
Catch Me At:
• Cornhuck (Omaha)
• Joe Nall (South Carolina)
• Harvest Huck (Iowa)
• Souixland (Sioux City)
• Warbirds over Owatonna (Minnesota)
• Huck-o-Ween (Georgia)
• Erie Children’s Cancer Benefit (Illinois)
• More TBD